Friday, November 20, 2009

Unsettled church situation

In one of my first few blogs from NC I shared that I had found a church home - a small church with a pastor from South Africa. In the past three months or so I've become quite close to the congregation of 25 or 30, especially to the women. I'm so grateful to the Lord that I was able to make friends so quickly in this way.

Last week the whole apple cart got upset when the pastor all of a sudden resigned due to an extramarital affair with a church member. These revelations have the power to shake mega churches, but when such a small church is involved, its very survival is threatened. So far we've been circling the wagons and seeking to react with love and forgiveness. But already people are planning their exit strategies.

For me, the next church may already have been decided. Last Sunday we had a joint service with them, and I liked it a lot. In size it's much more like my previous church in Iowa, and the vision is similar to my current church. Best of all, they are trying to start a House of Prayer that is affiliated with the International House of Prayer in Kansas City - something I've been interested in for years. So it seems that God is wasting no time in pointing me to the next step in my spiritual journey.

I don't relish the thought of having to make new friends all over again, and I certainly grieve over the hurt the small church and the people involved are going through. My prayer is about how to transition, and when, because I don't see any long-term future for a church without a pastor. It feels like a chicken with its head cut off. How sad! Yet how very much like God, to bring good out of evil and lead me to a church where they are doing the same kind of intercessory prayer I've longed and prayed for for years!

No comments:

Post a Comment