Monday, July 27, 2009

The fifth dimension struck - again

Have you ever wondered what happens to all those single socks that get lost in your washer? Well, according to a hilarious spoof I saw on TV years ago, they go to the "land of lost socks," a kind of warehouse of socks.
Now there are more things than socks that mysteriously disappear. You've probably experienced it yourself - no matter how hard you look or how irrational it seems, the thing simply has vanished.

That's where the fifth dimension comes in. I have this hypothesis that there is this fifth dimensions full of strange beings. Every once in a while the fifth dimension opens up and breaks into our space-time continuum and grabs something silly like a sock, a key, or a book. Reversely, but much less often, every once in a great while it opens up and drops the item back into your realm, just when you despaired of ever seeing it again. (Now my more spiritual friends would probably say it's the second heavens, not the fifth dimenension - let the reader understand - but what demons would do with all those socks is beyond me.)

Never does this fifth dimension have a greater field day than when you move. In a previous move I lost a perfectly good pair of shorts and a lovely T-shirt, though the shirt reappeared after three years (just to confuse me, as I said). This time it's more random. There is the mystery of the vanished toe-nail clipper. Never mind that we keep all our nail scissors and clippers in a special box, which was tightly wrapped with rubber bands and then packed in a larger box. Upon unpacking it all the nail scissors were there - except for the toe-nail clipper, the most expensive of the bunch. (At least we know now that these alien beings not only have a foot fetish, judging from all the socks they steal, but real thick, ugly toenails as well. I'm not sure I want to see them in my shorts after all.)

It wasn't a single box that was missing, but little things from different boxes - a small whisk, a Christian book by Rick Joyner ("The Torch"), a banner proclaiming "Jesus is Lord." Well, He is still Lord, even if it's gone.

The strangest thing though is about what the fifth dimension has been releasing this time around. You'll never guess it, but box after box contained socks, until I filled three drawers with them where I had had only one. I am convinced I have more socks now than ever! I guess it's time for laundry!

No comments:

Post a Comment