Monday, September 7, 2009

End of the summer season

As you are well aware, with Labor Day a change of season is in the air. In Iowa it meant Hawkeye Football games, high school football, cooler weather, sweat shirt weather, etc. There is a certain routine I was used to.

Here Labor Day means the craziness of Apple Festival (see previous post) with its traffic jams. I can't wait until all these tourists are gone and the town is ours again (spoken like a true local!) But they'll be back in October for leaf season and clog up everything for several weeks. Aghh!

What seems weird though is that I don't know what to expect of the coming fall and winter season. Since we moved into this house in the summer, it feels more like a summer home than anything. It's hard to imagine needing a furnace or being cold in here. How cold will it get? Will I need my Iowa winter clothes?

Some of my friends and neighbors will disappear (temporarily) and go to their Florida homes. They think it weird that we moved here to escape the Iowa winters since they think the winters are too cold.

Which football team do I root for now? How do I follow the Hawks, since it's unlikely they'll be on ESPN? Will the kids be out trick-and-treating in our community which prohibits soliciting? Will the condo association have rules about Christmas decorations?

One thing is sure - activities are picking up. I started to attend a few activities in conjunction with a large pentecostal church, in addition to my main church, signed up for several volunteer opportunities and am thinking about having people over. It's amazing how many people we've met in the past two months - some of them we know well enough that we could even ask them a favor, if need be.

So we're taking it one day at a time, and we'll discover what fall has to offer in the Carolinas (besides apples).

No comments:

Post a Comment