Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A Trip to Atlanta

We just came back from our first overnight trip since moving to Hendersonville, NC. Here are some of my observations, in no particular order:
1. No matter which way you're driving to Hendersonville, you're driving through some gorgeous scenery. I love the mountains more each time I drive through them. On that account Hvl wins hands-down.
2. As soon as we got the "flatland", we were hit with the reality why I don't like living in the South: the heat and humidity. Even at temps in the 70's and 80's it seemed pretty unbearable. Hvl. was humid, too, but cool, in the upper sixties. It felt good to be home!
3. On the downside, gas is much more expensive here. In both Georgia and SC they charged $2.16, and here it's 2.49 - a difference of 33 cents per gallon, and that along the highway! NC is a high-tax state in other ways, too - a high state income tax of 8 %, a sales tax of nearly 8 %, and even necessary groceries being taxed. Both the county and the city have already sent us a property tax bill, even though we just moved in. I wonder what they are doing with all that money??
4. Shopping is fabulous in Atlanta, and even along the way - we stopped at an outlet mall and bought a coat, other clothing, several pairs of shoes all in about an hour. In Atlanta we strolled through a fancy mall and saw quite a few stores we don't see everywhere - including a Lindt chocolate store. I went in, looked at the wide variety - overpriced, in my opinion - and walked out, not having bought anything, to the admiration of my husband at my restraint. I bet the poor sales lady was disappointed.
5. That evening, we celebrated a birthday, and I got to ride in one of those fancy stretch limousine with a bar and a long bench. One thing is sure - there is no lady-like way to get in and out. I wonder whether these fashion models and film stars take lessons on how to step in and out graciously in the light of the cameras?
6. All and all, though, I much rather live in Hendersonville than in Atlanta!

1 comment:

  1. In Hendersonville you are in Gods country. In Atlanta you are in the big city with all it's trappings and hustle.I am a small town boy and now live in Cincinnati. Figures doesn't it? What I wouldn't give to get back to my small home town life. Perhaps some day.

    ReplyDelete