Thursday, September 17, 2009

Guns and Rain

When I was signing in at the outpatient clinic for my mammogram, I noticed a line on the fairly short form asking:

"Are you carrying a weapon?"
And, "If so, has security been notified?"

I had noticed a sign at the entrance saying "No concealed weapons permitted" but never expected this on an admission form. They sure wouldn't ask this in Iowa, or Germany, for that matter!

For someone like me who is at least a semi-pacificist, this passion about guns is frightening. In South Carolina, just a few miles from here, a mayor got into trouble with the NRA because he joined a group called, "Mayors Against Illegal Weapons." Note - this was about illegal weapons, and they wanted him to resign over this. If I were to name the three biggest passions here, it is God - Country - Guns: or perhaps in reverse order. It seems to have escaped some of them that perhaps Jesus wouldn't have toted an assault rifle or concealed weapon, because he said to love your enemies, and he advocated non-violence.

The other thing I learned today is about rain. It's impossible to say how much rain the county gets because it varies everywhere, but the average is 58 inches a year. Iowa City has about 30 or 36 inches a year. I didn't realize I would be moving into a much wetter climate!

1 comment:

  1. It takes alot of rain to keep that area looking serene and picture perfect. Wanna trade my draught for some of your rain?

    Gun questions on a health questionare? Does that state have right to carry a concealed weapons law? Sounds like it.

    As I can recall from several years back in the Carolinas it was common to see pick up trucks with a gun rack in the back window filled up with guns. Don't know if they are still allowed to do that.

    ReplyDelete