Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Proverbs 3:5-7

If there is one guiding Scripture that helps tie together our cross-country move, it's this one:

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths. Do not be wise in your own eyes..."

In my very first blog I drew some comparison between this move and my big move across the Atlantic 36 years ago when I first came to this country. One of the big differences is the sheer size. Although I don't consider myself as possessing much stuff - even the guy from the moving company said so - it's still overwhelming, at least as long as I don't look to the Lord for everything.

Therefore I've surrendered the move totally to Him. He is in charge, and I seek to follow the directions of my Boss. Almost daily we experience that He truly is guiding us in details, from contacting the right people at the right time to packing to remembering (almost) everything I need to. He gives me wisdom what to do and what to postpone.

As for packaging, we've entered the stage where we don't remember where we packed some small, but vital item. Where is that cell phone recharger that always used to be in that drawer? Where are the swimsuits, now that we're having a heat wave? We found the cell phone recharger, praise God, and will have to wait to unpack for the swimsuits.

My perennial temptation to worrying is with boxes - will we have enough? Because of the holiday weekend the last chance we will have to get them is July 3, three days before moving. What about all the last-minute items that need to be packed? That's where I need to go back to Proverbs again and again: Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding... Surely He can handle this detail also. I bet/believe/hope/fear that we will have just enough boxes and containers for moving day. He's stretching my faith muscles!

No comments:

Post a Comment