Sunday, June 14, 2009

The rich young ruler

The past couple of weeks have given me a whole new perspective of what Jesus asked of the rich young ruler. "One thing you lack: go and sell all you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me." But at these words he was saddened, and he went away grieving, for he was one who owned much property. (Mk. 10:21-22)

Have you ever tried to sell some of your stuff? Didn't Jesus realize how long it would take for him to turn his stuff into cash he could give away? By the time he would be finished, Jesus would long be gone. Even with ebay or craigslist I've found it difficult to sell our stuff. Garage sales are daunting, especially when you've never had one. The only way that really works, we've found, is GIVING away your stuff, but Jesus specified selling it. People have been practically beating a way to our door and leaving with our stuff by the car or truckload. Does this count, Jesus?

Hold your guns, heresy hunters - this is tongue-in-cheek. I know my theology. All I'm saying, we're so blessed with stuff it's difficult to even sell it for practically nothing. A pair of Advent Speakers anyone?

4 comments:

  1. When we move, we posted a table on CraigsList and had cash in 40 minutes! Once we moved in, we decided to sell everything. My neighbor said it looked like we were selling drugs with all that traffic to the front porch and cash hand offs. I pray you'll have the same blessings!

    You know, it all depends on the quality of the photos. Maybe you cold get a high school or college art student to come and do that for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the poor that needs what the rich sells. My husband and I are always- and I mean ALWAYS taken care of but nonetheless, we are faithful with the least and broke or not- he is always near 2 us!

    As for selling stuff, you made an interesting point but I"m pretty sure Jesus isn't going to beat you over the head for "Giving" when he said selling. I don't see him as that legalistic. He knows the financial situation going on today; he knows what tomorrow is going to bring. :) Praise him!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I meant primarily was that SELLING your stuff is work - it's so much easier to give it away. Perhaps the rich young ruler was thinking, "Forget it, Jesus, don't You realize how long it will take me to turn my assets into cash? Selling my house in this market, taking photos, putting everything up on Craigslist, dealing with the weirdos who respond, organizing garage sales - and then FINDING the poor to give it to?! By the time I'm done You'll long be gone!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the way you related the rich young ruler and his dilema with your trying to sell things for your move.
    It really is an interesting insight.
    I just noticed there is no spell corrector when posting a comment on your site like with other ones. So, we will all have to watch out spelling!

    ReplyDelete